Skip to main content

JPMorgan pushes on with talks over Gávea

The article reference below highlights an interesting development. I happen to know that Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asian team is much more nervous about the Volcker rule and does not rule out the possibility of having to become independent. JPMorgan, on the other hand, seems to be on prowl to acquire HF/PE firms.

I think there are two points that are worth mentioning in connection with these differences:
1. JPM is much more of a deposit holding bank than MS. As such, it is likely they will be less affected by any looming regulation.

2. Even more importantly IMHO, Brazil is increasingly catching the headlines and claiming the spotlight, in a sense becoming "the next China". And in many respects, for a good reason: it's much less reliant on exports (and when it comes to oil, on imports), the fundamentals look robust, the GDP growth is accelerating and the inflation has been within a reasonable range for years.

I have never had the pleasure of talking to a Brazilian hedge fund, but I will be definitely looking forward to such an opportunity.

JPMorgan pushes on with talks over Gávea:
 "JPMorgan Chase is pushing ahead with talks to buy a large Brazilian hedge fund and private equity group, in spite of impending US legislation designed to limit the involvement of commercial banks in such activities"

■


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CFA Pass Rate

It is interesting to note that CFA pass rate has considerably declined over the years. It amounted to as much as 94% at the time of inception in 1963, and as little as 42% for the June exam of 2007. Of course, the total number of exam-takers has grown around 250 times, so these pass rates are not completely comparable, but the shift is considerable enough to show a clear trend. Is it the exam becoming more difficult, or the exam-takers are getting dumber? Let's just hope that I am one of the few lucky among the 42% when I receive my exam results in about two months... Original data is available at CFA Institute official site at the following URL: http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/candidate_results.pdf

To everyone leaving comments

Thank you for taking interest in my blog, I appreciate your comments. Please be informed that I enabled comments moderation, and every comment has to be approved before it is actually displayed. I had to do so because there was a case of inappropriate comments made at my blog, which brought no value to the readers. Therefore, do not be surprised if your comments are not displayed at once. It will take me from some minutes to some hours to read and approve their posting. Thank you for your understanding.