Skip to main content

CFA Exam to Change. Will the Pass Rates Improve?

Revisitng the topic of CFA pass rates, below are the most recent pass rates as reported by the CFA Institute:

June 2008
Level I: 35%
Level II: 46%
Level III: 53%

December 2007
Level I: 39%

The question is, will these change in 2009, when the three-choices answers replace the current four-choices structure?

Below are some links arguing on the topic:
CFA Institute claims that there will be no change, as any change in the absolute number of correct answers will be offset by the relative nature of assessment.

However, Dr. R. Douglas Van Eatonon the Schweser CFA Blog provides a less straitforward, although similar viewpoint.

In any case, there is a lot of hours to put into the exam preparation, no matter four choices or three.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tough stuff. I'm going for Level 1 in June 2009. How about you?
Knarkh said…
I'm doing Level 1 again this December.
Unknown said…
Obviously their claims were wrong. June 2009 Level 1 pass results are out and its 11% higher than Level 1 results in December.
Unknown said…
Obviously their claims were wrong. June 2009 Level 1 pass results are out and its 11% higher than Level 1 results in December.
Unknown said…
Obviously their claims were wrong. June 2009 Level 1 pass results are out and its 11% higher than Level 1 results in December.

Popular posts from this blog

CFA Pass Rate

It is interesting to note that CFA pass rate has considerably declined over the years. It amounted to as much as 94% at the time of inception in 1963, and as little as 42% for the June exam of 2007. Of course, the total number of exam-takers has grown around 250 times, so these pass rates are not completely comparable, but the shift is considerable enough to show a clear trend. Is it the exam becoming more difficult, or the exam-takers are getting dumber? Let's just hope that I am one of the few lucky among the 42% when I receive my exam results in about two months... Original data is available at CFA Institute official site at the following URL: http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/candidate_results.pdf

To everyone leaving comments

Thank you for taking interest in my blog, I appreciate your comments. Please be informed that I enabled comments moderation, and every comment has to be approved before it is actually displayed. I had to do so because there was a case of inappropriate comments made at my blog, which brought no value to the readers. Therefore, do not be surprised if your comments are not displayed at once. It will take me from some minutes to some hours to read and approve their posting. Thank you for your understanding.